In order to develop learning goals, educators should answer the question, “What do I want my students to know or be able to do?”
Developing a set of learning goals can guide students and provide clarity to teaching and learning. The overall goal for teaching should be learning. When students know what they should be able to do, it will be less of a challenge for them to meet that goal.
- provide a map that tells students where they are going
- add to student’s sense of ownership in the learning process
- are manageable and realistic
- begin with action verbs such as “ I can”
- should be measurable
- provide evidence that students have met your expectations